What Does It Mean
Performance Max is a new campaign type that aims at letting advertisers increase conversions across all of Google’s advertising channels. This includes Google Search, Display, Maps, Gmail, YouTube, and Discover. It allows advertisers to boost their presence across different ad formats with the help of Google AI.
Let’s take a closer look at how this is done.
There are three main components to this type of campaign.
1. Automated Bidding
As the name suggests, automated bidding or “Smart Bidding” is a way of bidding strategies using Google AI that aim to get more conversions for your website. There are numerous reasons why this is so popular the most important of which is that it gives you accurate predictions based on a vast amount of data.
2. Ads Formats and Placements
There are various types of ad formats like text ads, video ads, display ads, etc. It is essential to the campaign that the right combination of ads is chosen. It has to be relevant to your product, it should reach your target audience, the format should suit the ad, the budget should fit, and the performance should be monitored.
These factors should be taken into consideration when it comes to a Performance Max campaign.
3. Targeting and Audience Selection
One of the key factors of this type of campaign is that it uses machine learning to grow your business. How this works is that you will enter the parameters of your campaign – this includes the budget, business goals, and the conversions you want for your website. Google AI in turn will find potential customers for your goals and give the most appropriate ad, with the best bid.
Let’s take a look at why this campaign is beneficial and for whom it will yield the best results.
- Increases Online Leads and Conversions.
- Shows You A Different Audience Demographic
- Gives You More Control Over Your Ad Campaigns
This type of campaign is best if you have some specific advertising and conversion goals in mind. It will also help when you want to make your campaign perform better and channels are not a limitation.
However, not every campaign is without its flaws. There are some challenges to using this campaign.
- You don’t always receive all the data. This is similar to most Smart Shopping campaigns in that Performance Max also uses what is called a “black box”. This means that while you might be getting the results you want, you will not be able to access the data that allowed you to get these results. This in turn will not allow you to apply these changes anywhere else.
- You don’t have access to channel-specific performance data. One of the main features of this type of campaign is that all the ads from different channels can be seen in a single campaign. This can also be a disadvantage as you will not be able to see how the ads on a specific channel are doing.
- In turn, you don’t know if this campaign is clashing with any other campaign you have on a channel. Now, since you do not have any data regarding the campaign in a specific channel, you will not know if it clashes with any other ads you have placed there.
- There isn’t an option for device-specific data. You are not given the option of adding any device-specific goals to your campaign.
Hopefully, this blog was able to give you a basic overview of what a Performance Max campaign is, how it works, and what are the pros and cons. If you want to learn more about the ins and outs of Google Ads, you can visit us at Kickstart Digital!